My sister is willing to be a surrogate for us.
I’m 28, married and can’t have kids. We talked about adoption but the cost is too expensive. The Dr. suggested surrogacy because depending on the arrangement can cost less. January & February my younger sister offered to be a gestational surrogate and host my egg & his sperm. We would pay for the in vitro fertilization, insemination and other miscellaneous costs. Her insurance will cover the pregnancy plus she’d get to use paid maternity leave. She has two kids and been divorced for a year now.
We planned to start the process in March but COVID-19 put a stop to that. It’s a non-essential procedure. My sister has always worked from home. Recently, my husband and I began working from home.
My sister offered to let us know when she’s ovulating and my husband could knock her up the old fashioned way. The only difference would be her egg & his sperm. We’re sisters, it’d be my call and she promised to make things easy for us to fully adopt. The three of us talked it over and agreed.
On March 9,10 & 11, I went to her place to watch the kids and she went to my place. End of March, her menstrual cycle started.
We abstained and on April 10,11 & 12 they tried again. End of April, her menstrual cycle started.
They tried again last week and we are waiting to see if it took.
The clinic called and they can begin procedures in July and asked if we wanted to schedule.
My sister has young kids and is very concerned about about having a medical procedure in a clinic due to COVID-19 right now.
Things are not awkward and they’ve been very considerate and respectful with me. They’re willing to continue the old fashioned way, as long as I’m ok. It’s already started so why not let it play out. I haven’t told them but I’m ok until December. If nothing happens, January 2021, I think we should go with the clinic.