I am a teacher...
I am a teacher and I have many confessions. Here are just a few:
1. I rarely read the essays I assign. I check to see if they are long enough and the handwriting is good, then put a grade on it.
2. I don't waste my time trying to help the students who are never going to understand certain concepts. Aka the "slow" students. I give them "effort" grades and move on. I used to try to bring those students up a level or two, but after ten years, I can tell when it's an impossible task.
3. I am jealous of my students' social lives. I wish I was young again. They do the coolest things on the weekends. I do chores.
4. If you see a bad teenager, it's the parents' fault.
5. I see firsthand the coming divide between the rich and the poor, based on what comes through my classroom. There are the highly-motivated, intelligent future doctors and lawyers, and then the barely-awake mouth-breathers who are just being pushed through. There are not many "middle" students anymore, just as there will not be many "middle class" a generation from now.